The spiritual heir to the first railroad bridge to cross the Mississippi River, this is actually the fourth bridge connecting Davenport to Rock Island’s Arsenal Island.
The neighboring houses were razed and at some point St. John's lancet arch belfry openings were filled in, but otherwise this gothic revival church in Iowa looks like it hasn’t aged a day. Built in 1903, St. John's M.E. Church was designed by Clausen & Burrows.
The 1930s version of an Airbnb, tourist homes were regular-ass homes with rooms rented out to travelers by the homeowners—in this case, John and Edith Linke.
When the Irish community that gave Davenport’s Cork Hill its name outgrew their first church on this site, they hired (who else?) the Midwest’s preeminent Irish-American ecclesiastical architect to design the replacement, the Cork-born James J. Egan.
Designed by Edward Durell Stone, the architect’s only building in Iowa, this New Formalist version of the Davenport Public Library replaced a neoclassical Carnegie Library built on this site in 1904.